LONGVIEW — The Longview Police Department reminds Longview area motorists that with the beginning of the school year, drivers are asked to be extra vigilant about safety while operating their vehicles on the roadways. A few other driving tips include:
- School zones will be closely monitored by patrol and traffic units and not all school zones have signs with flashing lights.
- Watch for children at crosswalks and other areas near schools where they may be attempting to cross the street.
- When school buses are stopped for loading or unloading and their red flashing lights are activated, it is illegal to pass a bus.
- It is unlawful to use a cellular telephone while in a school zone unless a hands free device is being utilized. Simply using speaker phone is not enough.
- Traffic will increase throughout the City due to parents dropping off and picking their children up at area schools.
- Wear your seatbelt. The excuse of just running up the road to drop the kids off at school is no reason to disregard seatbelt laws. Seatbelts save lives.
- Police will be conducting increased traffic enforcement around the City, not just in school zones, utilizing off-duty police officers working under the STEP traffic enforcement grant.