Three John Tyler Students Competition Winners

Posted/updated on: April 13, 2014 at 4:59 pm

John Tyler Citizen Bee winnersTYLER — Three seniors from John Tyler High School recently took first, second and third place honors at the Region 7 Texas Citizen Bee competition held in Kilgore. Under the direction of teacher Patty Tucker, DaVonte Wilson, 17, took first place, Jasinto Martinez, 17, placed second and Raul Olmos, 17, placed third in the competition. DaVonte will join first place winners from the other 19 regions across the state to compete in the State Citizen Bee Competition in Austin on Saturday, April 26.

The Texas Citizen Bee is a statewide civic education program and competition in which participants answer questions in various areas including the U.S. Constitution, important documents, people, issues, civic values and skills and a Bill of Rights Institutes current events category. The competition includes a 30 minute written exam that is comprised of 65 multiple choice questions. The exam counts for 65% of the final score. Students then go before a panel of judges to answer four rounds of questions to complete the remaining 35% of the total score.

“DaVonte, Jasinto and Raul worked really hard to prepare for the competition, as did the entire John Tyler team,” Mrs. Tucker said. “It is a wonderful accomplishment to have one student place, but to take the top three honors is outstanding. John Tyler students answered questions ranging from Roe verses Wade to Miranda verses Arizona to numerous other current events, and answered most questions correctly. When we returned to campus I was overwhelmed by the support of the students, teachers and administration. I am very proud to be a member of the John Tyler family!”

Find an Advertiser

Support the folks that support us!
List of Current Advertisers!

Search

Listen Live!

KTBB AM600 - Listen Now

On now:

ESPN 92.1FM - Listen Now

On now: