TYLER — The Tyler Fire Department reminds citizens that the kitchen area continues to be the leading location where fires originate in residential structures. Firefighters issued the advisory after a local home was heavily damaged by a fire that began in the kitchen. According to the fire department, cooking operations are the leading cause of home fires and home-fire injuries, and the second leading cause of home fire deaths. Typically, unattended cooking is the leading factor contributing to these fires. Frying also poses the greatest risk of fire. A recent study showed that U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 466 home cooking fires per day. This is the second cooking-related fire that Tyler firefighters have responded to in a week’s time.
Citizens are encouraged to look for places in their homes where fires commonly originate and make any necessary corrections. Additionally, citizens should ensure the presence of operable and properly located smoke alarms, and learn what to do if the smoke alarm sounds. Make a home escape plan with all members of the household, then practice it together at least twice a year. For more information, visit the Tyler Fire Department’s webpage (http://www.tylerfiredept.com), find the department on Facebook, and follow the department on Twitter.
In the Friday night incident on Border Avenue, the only occupant of the residence was awakened with coughing, along with heavy smoke within the structure. He was able to exit the house safely and call 911. Investigators determined that the fire originated in the kitchen area as a result of cooking operations left unattended on the stove. The Red Cross was notified to assist the occupant with temporary housing for the evening.