PALESTINE — The Palestine City Council has amended the ban on burning within the city limits to allow burning of brush and limbs via permit. This change will allow residents to burn in a controlled setting after getting a permit from the Palestine Fire Department, according to a news release. Permits will be issued starting July 10 and are available at Fire Station 1 (611 Avenue A), Station 2 (107 7th St) and Station 3 (501 Benbrook Dr.). Fire Chief Alan Wilcher has said, We worked closely with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) to craft the guidelines in this ordinance. Based on their recommendations, we can offer burn permits within the City limits.
Details on the burn permits:
– Burn permits will be issued for same day use and at the discretion of the fire stations officers.
– Burning is not allowed on days other than day noted on permit.
– People may burn limbs and brush, but leaves, pine needles and household trash are prohibited. Progressive Waste will remove up to 20 bags of leaves per Wednesday, and trash pickup is on a bi-weekly schedule.
– All burn piles must be completely extinguished 1 hour before sunset, and that time will be stated on the burn permit.
– All brush and limbs burned must be part of your property only.
– Complaints for smoke and fire size will be addressed on an individual basis.
– Burn pile size will be monitored by the Fire Department, please discuss with fire officers when getting your permit.
Burning Safety tips:
– Always have a garden hose, bucket of water or other water suppression device on hand.
– Never walk away from a fire of any size.
– Never use an accelerant such as gas or diesel on the fire.
Chief Wilcher concluded, We strongly advise property owners to not take risks with their burning. If a fire gets out of hand, and whether you feel you can handle it alone or need help, immediately call the fire department at (903) 729-2254 and let us help. Being proactive is the best thing you can do. Visit http://www.CityofPalestineTx.com for more information on this and other city services.